Executive Director Letter
March 12, 2019
Dear GOLF, Inc. Supporters:
I am writing you to seek your support for two matters – our tournaments and our scholarships.
Right now, GOLF, Inc. has two events planned. Our Big Six Tournament is scheduled for March 23-24 on the North Course at Earlywine Golf Course. Entry deadline is this Friday. I encourage each of you to get a partner and help support GOLF, Inc. All of the entry fee money will be returned to the players though green fees, carts, range balls, gifts and prizes.
Our second tournament is scheduled for April 20 at Lake Hefner Golf Course. This is a one day, 18-hole tournament to qualify for a horse race on the par 3 course!!! It should be lots of fun. Prizes will be awarded for the 18-hole competition as well as for the horse race. Again, all entry fee money will be returned to the players.
I would personally like to hear from each of you regarding the type of tournaments you would like to see. Include in your response the format you would like. We are open to ideas and want to provide our membership with the type of events they would like to participate in. Please give me your ideas.
Secondly – our scholarships need your support. Along with our general fund, GOLF, Inc. has 6 scholarship funds honoring U.C. Ferguson, Floyd Farley, Tim McMillon, Powell Briscoe, Lyndall Buck and our newest, Brad Naifeh.
- U.C. Ferguson was the long time Director of Golf at Lincoln Park Golf Course, serving the Oklahoma City golfing public, and in particular, junior golfers at Lincoln Park for 61 years. Mr. Ferguson started as a caddie in 1928, eventually becoming the head golf professional in 1951. “U.C.” as he was known to all, was one of the most influential promoters of golf and was especially noted for his contributions to junior players. Mr. Ferguson was instrumental in forming and growing GOLF, Inc. and was honored with a scholarship fund in his name.
- Floyd Farley began his golf career as a golf professional. As an accomplished player, Mr. Farley won two Oklahoma PGA Championships and the Oklahoma Match Play Open in 1947. Ultimately, Mr. Farley settled in on golf course design. He is credited with designing over 100 courses, including Quail Creek Golf & Country Club and John Conrad Regional Golf Course.
- Tim McMillon was honored with a scholarship fund when his life was cut tragically short in an automobile accident at the age of 24. As noted by Lincoln Park Director of Golf, Steve Carson, “Tim was always right in front when it had to do with junior golfers out here. He loved to work with them and donated hours of his time to help kids.” Because of his volunteer work with junior golf, GOLF, Inc. honored him with a scholarship fund.
- Powell Briscoe was President of Powell Briscoe Oil Co. He is remembered by GOLF, Inc. for his active development of programs for junior golfers and work with the Oklahoma City Parks Department. Mr. Briscoe was President of GOLF, Inc. for two years and instrumental in the growth of GOLF, Inc.
- Lyndell Buck was an avid golfer. He spend 21 years on the Oklahoma City Golf Commission, and served GOLF, Inc. two times as President. He was an active member of junior golf and at one time, served as golf coach at Oklahoma City University. For his work with GOLF, Inc., he was honored with a scholarship fund.
- Our latest honoree, Brad Naifeh was an avid golfer and promoted the game of golf in Oklahoma City in many various ways and was a tireless advocate for the Oklahoma City community. He was a Board Member for the Swing For Sight golf tournament in the 1990’s. He also served many non-profit organizations including Allied Arts, Peaceful Family Solutions, the Scott and Kim Verplank Foundation, the YWCA, the Jim Thorpe Museum, the Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame and many others. GOLF, Inc. was honored when the family approached us to establish this scholarship fund to honor Mr. Naifeh and promote our junior golfers in the area.
Each of these six individuals promoted the game of golf, and in particular junior golf in the metro area. GOLF, Inc. relies solely on contributions to our scholarship funds to provide scholarships for our deserving junior golfers. Please remember these six individuals. Any contribution is greatly appreciated.
You may forward your contributions and/or your thoughts on tournament golf to me at:
4001 N.E. Grand Blvd.
Oklahoma City, OK 73111
Thank you again for your support of GOLF, Inc. I hope to see you at the BIG SIX!!!
James M. Reid